In order to realize our goals of having a healthier employee population overall, our wellness program will roll out a number of activities over the course of fiscal year 2014-2015 and beyond. Listed below are current programs being sponsored by the GVI wellness program. Please stay tuned as this page will be updated periodically as more programs become available.
Participation in our wellness activities aren’t just limited to work sponsored events. In fact, participation in self-initiated wellness initiatives by employees is strongly encouraged. Employees who participate any wellness related activity may be eligible to earn gift certificates, t-shirts, pedometers, duffel bags, sports bottles, raffle prizes and other incentives offered by GVI: H.E.A.L.T.H. and Wellness Program.
Implement initiatives to increase the well-being of all plan members by enhancing all aspects of health, increase awareness of positive health behaviors, to motivate employees to voluntarily adopt healthier behaviors, and to provide opportunities to foster lifestyle changes.
Eligibility Requirements For Participation In Wellness Activities
All members covered by the Group Health Insurance Plan are eligible to participate in the majority of the wellness activities. Covered family members are also eligible to participate.
Preventable illnesses contribute a sizeable financial burden to our insurance plan, our chronic and catastrophic claims increased by 9.6% in fiscal year 2010. 41% of our member population is classified as having a chronic condition; with only 32.3% of that population actively engaged in disease management programs. Currently our preventive care utilization is extremely low. The prevalent chronic conditions present in our member population, which are largely preventable and/or manageable, include diabetes, hypertension, asthma, copd, cholesterol, and obesity. In fact, 75% or $ 72,085,744.01 of the costs to our plan is attributed to treating these chronically ill members. Involving this population in our wellness program will assist in ensuring that they do not join the future ranks of the chronically ill.
GVI H.E.A.L.T.H. & Wellness Program
Key Performance Indicators:
- Establish a GVI healthy lifestyle policy
- Reduce insulin dependence in covered members by 20% in FY 2013 and 20% each year thereafter.
- Achieve participation rates of 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% in Health Risk Assessment by FY 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 respectively.
- Achieve participation rates of 50%, 75% and 100% in “Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Babies” program by FY 2013, 2014 & 2015 respectively.
- Achieve a participation rate of 50%, 75% and 100% in Annual Wellness evaluation (Eye, Dental & Wellness exams) by FY 2013, 2014 & 2015 respectively.
- Increase participation in disease management by 25% each year.
- Increase the use of generic drugs to 90% by 2014.
- Establish after hours urgent care facility in each district by FY 2014.
- Reduce use of emergency room as primary source of care.
- Develop relationships with local growers, restaurants, grocers to promote healthier diets
Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams
The President’s Challenge is the premier program of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition administered through a co-sponsorship agreement with the Amateur Athletic Union. The President’s Challenge helps people of all ages and abilities increase their physical activity and improve their fitness through research-based information, easy-to-use tools, and friendly motivation.
Join the Government of the Virgin Islands MapMyFITNESS group. Here you will be able to log your progress as we all attempt to become healthier. MapMyFITNESS’s iMapMy mobile apps use the built-in GPS technology of the iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry to enable users to record and chart their daily fitness activities and routes right on their devices