The Employee Training and Development Unit coordinates training activities for employees of the Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
We provide onsite training in various topics including:
- Conflict Resolution
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Communication
- Sexual Harassment Prevention (general)
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training for Supervisors
HR Managers and Agency Heads can officially request onsite training using our electronic Request for Training (RFT) form. Contact our team (below) to learn more!
Upcoming Training Events
The application for the 2019-2020 VI CPM Colleague is closed. Please check back in the next few months for the 2020-2021 application.
2019-2020 VI CPM COLLEAGUE GROUP – COURSE SCHEDULE
STEP 1 of 3: Sign in or Create an Account
Click on the APPLY button to sign in (or to create an account) on the application portal.
STEP 2 of 3: Complete and Submit Your Application
Complete and submit your online application – with all required supporting documents – by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, May 31, 2019.
Please note that the documents you are required to provide are based on the type of organization you are employed with and are applying under. To ensure the timely processing of your application, be sure to attach the required documents for type of organization you are employed with (see below):
- U.S. Virgin Islands Government (Executive Branch, Autonomous/Semi-Autonomous Agency, Legislative Branch, or Judicial Branch) – 3 required documents:
- Current résumé
- Letter of recommendation from immediate supervisor
- Approval of Participation Form
- Federal Government Agency, Non-Profit Organization, or Private Sector Company – 2 required documents:
- Current résumé
- Letter of recommendation from immediate supervisor
- Self-employed Individual/Small Business Owner – 2 required documents:
- Current résumé
- Letter of recommendation from a client, business partner, or other individual with direct knowledge of applicant’s work.
Current résumé. Submit a résumé that includes your professional positions (including the major duties and responsibilities for each), formal education, and other public-sector oriented experiences (e.g., work in non-profits, participation in political or special interest groups, volunteer work, etc.). Use a format of your choice, but do not exceed three (3) pages. A current résumé is required of all applicants.
Letter of recommendation from your immediate supervisor. Your immediate supervisor should describe why you are being recommended for the program and give one to two examples of your performance in your current position which indicate your potential for the program. The letter of recommendation should be addressed to the Virgin Islands Certified Public Manager (CPM) Program Advisory Board.
If you are applying as a self-employed individual, provide a letter of recommendation from a client, business partner, or other individual with direct knowledge of your work.
Approval of Participation Form. The Approval of Participation Form is only required from applicants who are employed with the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands and are applying for the VI CPM Program under their official position with the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands. This Approval form must be signed by both your immediate supervisor and agency head. If your agency head is your immediate supervisor, they should sign both fields.
STEP 3 of 3: Submit your application fee.
Submit your non-refundable $50 application fee to Division of Personnel:
- In order for your application to be forwarded for consideration, your application fee must be received by Division of Personnel within five (5) business days after the application deadline.
- Submit the $50.00 fee in the form of a check or money order only;
- Make the check or money order payable to “Division of Personnel”
- In the memo/for line, write “2019 -2020 VI CPM Application Fee”.
- Submit your payment to Division of Personnel’s office:
- St. Thomas: 3438 Kronprindsens Gade | GERS Complex, 3rd Floor | St. Thomas, VI 00802
- St. Croix: 3009 Orange Grove Shopping Center – Bays #6, 7, 8 | Christiansted |St. Croix, VI 00820
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE: For any technical challenges or questions about signing in, creating an account, or using the application: Click on the “Support” button on the relative page. You may also call Live Applicant Support at 855-524-5627 and reach a live specialist who can assist if you are having trouble using the website (for example: not being able to go past a certain page in the application or if you forgot your password). If you contact the Support line and are not immediately directed to a specialist, you may hold or press 2 to request a call back. Live Applicant Support is open 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PT (California time). Please note that the specialists won’t be able to answer questions about the CPM Program or the CPM application process.
For further information or clarification on the CPM Program or the CPM application process: Contact Division of Personnel’s Employee Training and Development Unit at CPM@dop.vi.gov or (340) 774-8588.
VIRGIN ISLANDS CERTIFIED PUBLIC MANAGER® (CPM) PROGRAM
The Virgin Islands Certified Public Manager® (CPM) Program is a nationally accredited, comprehensive management development program open to employees within local and federal government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private sector businesses in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The program’s primary goal is to improve the performance of public sector managers and supervisors and the organizational performance of state, local and federal governments. The Virgin Islands CPM Program is sponsored by the Division of Personnel (DOP) and the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) and is delivered by UVI’s Institute for Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness (ILOE).
The Virgin Islands CPM Program’s rigorous and comprehensive 300-hour course of study is designed around seven (7) core competency areas set by the National Certified Public Manager® Consortium (NCPMC), the accrediting body of all CPM programs: Personal and Organizational Integrity; Managing Work; Leading People; Developing Self; Systemic Integration; Public Service Focus; and Change Leadership. Participants acquire and apply best practices and theory to their management behaviors and strategies using the seven (7) core competencies. VI CPM participants also complete an applied project (capstone project). The capstone project is typically a real world problem faced in the CPM participant’s agency that would benefit from a systematic application of the principles taught in the classroom.
VI CPM Program participants complete the program in 14 months as part of a cohort or “colleague group”. This group attends classes collectively, becoming Certified Public Managers together. Participants of a VI CPM Colleague Group usually meet three (3) consecutive days per month, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CPM classes are held on St. Thomas and St. Croix at the University of the Virgin Islands.
LEVEL OF INSTRUCTION
CPM instruction is at the college graduate level. Candidates for the “CPM” designation are required to demonstrate above average skills in many areas including oral and written communication, critical thinking, and strategic thinking.
Government & Non-Profit: $3,500
- Local Government: The Program Fee will be covered in full for 2019-2020 VI CPM Colleague Group participants who are employed full-time with the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands and apply for the current VI CPM Program under their official position with the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands, on the condition that these participants sign the applicable GVI Continued Service Agreement (CSA). After the selection process has been completed, the CSA form will be provided to the GVI applicants chosen for the Program.
- Federal Government & Non-Profit: For payment arrangements, contact Dannica Thomas – Director of Institutional Effectiveness at the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI): email@example.com | 340-693-1471.
Private Sector: $4,200
- For payment arrangements, contact Dannica Thomas – Director of Institutional Effectiveness at the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI): firstname.lastname@example.org | 340-693-1471.
To be considered for participation in a VI CPM Colleague Group, an applicant must be employed with a local or federal government agency, non-profit organization, or private sector business in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Preference is given to applicants with supervisory experience.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Division of Personnel
Employee Training and Development Unit
Phone: (340) 774-8588
University of the Virgin Islands
Haldane Davies, Ph.D.
VI CPM Program Director
Phone: (340) 693-1004 or (340) 201-1426
Director, Institutional Effectiveness and Institute for Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness (ILOE)
Phone: (340) 693-1471
340-774-8588 ext. 5129